You may want a website for many different reasons. Some of the common reasons to have a web presence are for your business, as a hobby or for making some extra money during your leisure hours. If you know something about writing codes for web pages, you will naturally be tempted to do all the work yourself. Do it, if you have enough experience and know what you want, otherwise, leave it to a professional web design company.
Opting to leave the design work is often a better way of doing things. One good reason why you should leave it to professionals is that they free up your time, which you can utilize for concentrating on core activities; content for example. Another reason why it makes sense to leave it to professionals is they bring in tons of experience, and even if you have some misplaced notions about web design, they can help you clear it. More frequently, you will also get the benefit of learning a lot from the designers themselves. Some designers will even offer to promote your website as a freebie when you award them a designing contract.
Selecting the right kind of web designing by itself is a major task, and before you get down to it, be clear about what you intend to do with the website and how you hope to achieve your objectives. The more you are clear about your objectives, better are the possibilities of you getting what you want. The first step you must take to get going therefore, is putting everything into writing. Jot down every thought into a notebook. Don’t ever think that your memories will keep you in good stead; they are the easiest to fail you at the most opportune time.
Web designing companies come in different colors and hue. Size, believe, is not a sign of competence. But the good thing is there are so many designers with whom you can work. Again, that is also the problem. When you have too many, choosing the right company can be very confusing. Here are 5 things to look when choosing a web design company.
- Experience matters a lot when it comes to awarding work. See for how long they have been into the business of web designing. A minimum of 3 years should normally be good enough, but that is not enough either. Check out if they have a professional work place where you can drop in occasionally to see how work is progressing. That you need to do, so that, you can set things right the moment you discover things that are not to your liking.
- A web designing company with a big list of referrals is important. It will give you an opportunity for cross checking the information that the company provides. That way you can check the company’s credentials and their standing in profession. While it is prudent to cross check, consider the fact that, not all their customers may be forthcoming in their views. You are your judge, and you will have to use your instincts most of the time.
- No two web designing companies work the same way. The hierarch of companies may be very different from one another. The process and work flow within the company can vary very widely and the process of building your website is often not concentrated in the hands of any individual. The designing process is often split and prepared in modules. For example, art may be handled by a specialist, payment system modules by another and content still by another. Understanding the process will let you interact with the coders and bring about changes if you need them. Check if the company has a sound process in place.
- If there is one field where experience matters more than anything else, it is the designing department. Ask the designing company to showcase their accomplished work for you. Once you have the links, you can straightaway visit those pages and form your own view about the designing company’s competence to handle your project. When you have samples, deciding the right theme for your website too become easier. The more samples a company can give, the better they are.
- Finally, you decide how they will bill you. Some companies will bill you on the basis of by-the-hour and some on flat-rate. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but, if your project is either small or moderate, choose a flat-rate company; at least you will know what the maximum is going to be.