There is general consensus that the internet has revolutionized modern business. Most businesses are now dedicating a lot of resources to increasing their online presence. If you don’t have some form of online presence, then you are missing out on this 3.6-billion-customer rich marketplace. While the internet platform provides a ready market and an easier way to target potential customers, it requires a lot of expertise to enjoy these benefits.
Building a beautiful website is not an end in itself and this is something millions of website owners have found out the hard way. In fact, Google says only 52% of all indexed websites are making revenue, which proves how tough this market environment can be. The secret to unlocking the potential of the internet market lies in search engine optimization (SEO).
This in essence makes your website friendly to search engines, which in turn leads to better ranking on search engine result pages (SERPs). With over 93% of internet experiences starting with a search engine, you must make sure your website is highly visible on these platforms. Studies show that about 75% of internet users don’t look beyond the 1st page of SERPs. The focus should therefore be on improving your ranking and to do this, you need to hire Charlotte North Carolina Search Engine Optimization Services expert.
These consultants bring on board objectivity in web audit, experience in all types of white hat SEO strategies, and reliability in site monitoring and maintenance. Whatever happens, you have an expert checking on your site which guarantees more uptime. This is exactly what internet users are looking for and Google also loves such websites. By working with a qualified SEO consultant, you are able to boost the user experience, which in turn leads to higher conversion.
There are many SEO consultants available online and choosing one can be tricky. Many website owners have been left regretting their choices when their websites were penalized for flouting Google’s Webmaster Guidelines. How does this happen? Most website owners make seemingly innocuous mistakes which return to haunt them.
To avoid this pitfall, below is a list of common mistakes you should avoid when hiring an SEO consultant for your website.
- Avoid SEO ignorance – If you are a website owner then you must be prepared to learn some SEO basics. While it is true your SEO consultant will be in charge, you can only work together if you understand what SEO is all about. There are so many resources online and you have no excuse not to have SEO basics on your fingertips.
- Relying too much on lofty guarantees – Of course every website owner would like to have their website on the top of SERPs ranking within 24 hours. This eagerness is what some SEO scams leverage to lure you. Remember, only dedicated SEO efforts over a long period of time will bear fruits. Anyone who approaches you with guarantees is taking you on a costly ride.
- Trusting in black hat SEO – Some SEO firms will argue that no one really knows what ranking factors Google uses. They will propose a concoction of link buying, content spinning, keyword stuffing and other special tools which will lead to penalties at the end of the day. If the SEO consultant is not ready to stick to Google Webmaster Guidelines, run and don’t look back.
- Failure to do a background check – Most new website owners are desperate of better ranking and visibility. They will therefore rush online looking for the most appealing Sydney SEO firm without carrying out due diligence. To avoid this mistake, take your time to read about the company, ask for referrals and check what they have done for other clients, especially in your niche.
- Failure to ask for tailored services – If an SEO company has no customized services, you will be making a big mistake by hiring them. A one-size-fits-all SEO package will lead to poor results because every website is unique. For a start, you must have specific SEO goals and the package you purchase should be geared towards achieving these.
There are many other mistakes website owners make and you should always avoid them. For instance, avoid services which want to lock you in, companies with no references, SEO services that have no history in the industry, experts who don’t want to explain how they will get you better search engine ranking and services whose only goal is better ranking on search engines.
When hiring an SEO consultant, make sure you have set your goals, which their services should be able to fulfil. More importantly, the consultant should have a clear monitoring, evaluation and reporting structure for the ongoing SEO project.