Want to make money while sharing your love of photography? There has never been a better way than to use the micro-stock websites available today. It could be a good source of income, as well as the means of getting your name out there and becoming famous for your work. However, breaking into the market can be difficult, especially without the knowledge of market demands. So how do the pros do it and why?
Why Stock Photography?
The numerous stock sites are used daily for promotion. Whether it is for websites, slideshows, magazines or businesses, the options are endless. It is a cost-effective tool for concept development and promotion. Also, many designers like to get a basic photo and then edit it further on their own to get a unique custom design. Also, stock photography websites offer a wide selection of photos and save time with the immediate download option.
First of all, if you are an amateur, this is an excellent learning opportunity and a way to get into the photography business. Although it’s tough in the beginning, it will gradually build up your portfolio while giving you 15% from each sold image. This number will eventually grow up to 50% if you are willing to work hard for your success so you can make money from it.
On the other hand, it could help you gain more confidence in your ability and find a faster way to get the desired look of an image. Additionally, a photography novice is free to experiment until developing a unique personal style.
How to Make It?
Millions of photographers sell their work daily on the stock photo market, which already offers over 14 million photos. When first starting out, it is recommended to do some research and look at the top selling photos. This will give you an idea about the market demands and the necessary directions for taking your photos to the next level.
There are a few options to consider for gaining profit from your work and to make money. The first is to upload your images on the existing sites for a commission rate. The second is to create your gallery and sell the photos directly to private clients. However, you can also sell your work for use on t-shirts and mugs, as well as host the photographs on your website and sell the advertising space.
Take advantage of social networks and promote your work online. Pay attention to the commonly used keywords in online searches, so that you can tag your photos better and have them pop up at the top of the search results. Always check your photos and make sure they look their best, without over-editing them, and don’t give your best work for free.
A lot of established stock photographers use a helping hand of Photo Editing Services so that they don’t have to spend extra time correcting the errors themselves. If you are first starting out with photography, it would be beneficial to explore all the editing software and applications at your disposal.
Stock Photography Platforms:
Each Stock platform has different rules and guidelines to follow for being accepted as a photographer. The commission and payment possibilities vary, so read the instructions carefully. The list of most popular stock photography sites to make money includes:
- Shutterstock – One of the top sites for images and a larger commission rate.
- iStock – Excellent way to test your skills. To join iStock, one must submit three of the best images and wait for their approval. On the other hand, it is the most visited platform with a 15% to 45% commission rate.
- Dreamstime – Highly praised stock imagery site for working on with high-quality standards.
- Fotolia – Depending on your popularity, your price rates can go up to 63% and there are no limits on the picture posting.
Getty Images – The commission is 20%, but the site offers many potential sales.
- Stocks – A great choice for rookies. Stocksy is relatively new and takes a good care of photographers with a 50% commission rate.
- Crestock – Easy to use platform with a 20%-40% commission rate.
- Shutterpoint – The highest paying site with up to 85% commission rate, but requires a fee to start selling.
When first selling your art on different platforms, you will face some rejection which can discourage your initial positive attitude. But don’t let it get you down, use it as an opportunity to learn and develop a thicker skin. The truth about selling is that only the best quality images will make the most profit.
Not all types of photographs will be accepted – images have to be applicable for merchandising purposes. Just look at the few very successful photographers who took advantage of the stock possibilities and made thousands of dollars out of it:
- Brendan van Son – Brendan’s Adventures took him over 70 countries and six different continents. He started with $500 and a camera, and now he is making $6,000 a year from Stock Photography.
- Josh Hodge – He built his portfolio and perfected his photography technique by working for a stock agency and has one of the highest selling image collections in the world.
- Yuri Arcurs – The leader of the stock industry worth over $50 million. He started selling stock photos as a hobby while studying, and now he owns his own stock photography distribution network – Peopleimages.com.
Although getting started may seem confusing at first, remember the millions of photographers who were once in your shoes, but made the most of it and became successful. Stock photography is a great hobby to make money on the side, but also an exceptional career opportunity.
Numerous stock platforms offer a learning experience adequate for any photographer who wants to get noticed. So take all of the advantages and helpful tools mentioned above and use it to get a better start on accessible sites.
Explore the stock market and experiment until you discover your own unique style. Also, don’t forget to use the power of social media to your advantage.